Friday, November 28, 2003

Mental Roadblock.........

I seem to have hit a roadblock when it comes to blogging. Been busy running errands and having a life but here's some high and lowlights of the past couple weeks:

The biggest excitement on the island lately has been the surf. There's been an east swell that the people who have lived here longer than me say they haven't seen since the last hurricane (1992). It's been mostly storm surf with the beaches on about 2/3 of the island closed.

But that hasn't stopped the surfers. The swells in Nawiliwili harbor were so big and rough the barges couldn't get in to the dock for several days. The water surged over the sea wall and broke up and dislodged the asphalt road. Jet skis were towing surfers out to the point to catch the waves.

Down the road from where I live the parking lot at both ends of Wailua Bay were closed because the ocean flooded them. Were it not for the rock wall the road probably would have been covered in sand. Where the wall ended there was sand washed right up to the road. Of course this caused a massive traffic jam as everyone was rubbernecking and watching the ocean.

The surf at Kealia was also hugh and crowds were watching that also. Some of the breakwater at Landings was dislodged by the high surf. Earlier this week while driving my son to school there were a couple guys surfing the point by the lookout. I've never seen that in the 4 1/2 years I've been here.

Last Sunday we went to Baby Beach and there was lots of debris from the surf washed up on the beach. We came across a number of sea cucumber still alive stranded on the sand and tossed them back in the ocean. Saw a dead Humuhumunukunukuapua'a fish, lots of driftwood and trash. There were also two huge logs on the beach that were washed back in the ocean while we were there.

The month of November has flown by. Last week I saw fresh Christmas wreaths at a store but couldn't bring myself to buy one. It would be all brown by Christmas. And I think I'm getting a white Christmas tree with lights on already at KMart tomorrow. I've been buying a live 6 foot tree but it's too much trouble to wrap it up and take it to the dump after Christmas. It's just too messy and too hard for me to handle alone. None of my family is traveling this year for Christmas so I don't need a "real" tree.

I bought myself one Christmas present already. Not telling what it is. But I think I'm getting my son a new TV for his room for Christmas. He also wants a Walkman and about a thousand videos. Have no idea what to get my parents.

I'm off, gotta pay bills and get outside.....




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home