Monday, August 11, 2003

the price of paradise......

On the news this morning was an item about the price of gasoline in Hawaii. In Honolulu the average price of a gallon of regular gas, pump-your-own, self-serve is $1.89. That seems cheap to me. On Kauai the cheapest gas I've heard about is $2.17 for pump-you-own regular. I paid $2.21 per gallon this morning. Pumped it myself. Cost me $31.50 to fill my tank. And you wonder why everyone on this island has a minimum of 2 jobs.........

I may be showing my age here but I can recall when I was a child that at the "service" station my parents patronized when you pulled in for gas you didn't even have to get out of your car. They cleaned all the windows, checked the oil and pumped the gas. When my parents got their car serviced the station would send two guys to our house in a truck to pick-up the car. When the servicing was done they would deliver the car back to our house. Now that's what I call service. The service station was called Hi-Land Service in Aiea Heights on Oahu. Everyone was on a first name basis. Sadly, a number of years ago they sold out. There's still a gas station (with a convenience store) there but it's just not the same.

Another fond memory I have is when the dairy would deliver milk to our house. Jerry was the name of the driver. He would actually come in the house and put the milk in the refrigerator. Life was so much simpler then. We never locked out doors during the day, only at night.

But getting back to the original subject, on Kauai we pay 20-30 cents more per individual item than what people pay in Honolulu for just about everything. Why? Because just about everything has to be barged over here or flown in. Shipping costs are expensive. That's the price of living in paradise.

I've decided that it's time to reveal more about myself on this blog. Since no one reads it anyway it doesn't really matter. But I have some stuff to do first so I'll be back later........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home