Sunday, July 13, 2003

There was a teensy bit of excitement this weekend....

I looked out my kitchen window Saturday morning as I was preparing to head for the beach and there were four police cars at the house on the corner across the street. Three cops were standing around talking in the driveway. The neighbor on the other corner across the street started up his mower and proceeded to mow his lawn so I couldn't even hear what was being said. Bummer! A couple weeks ago, only at night, the cops were at this very same house. Lately this has been a common occurance at this particular house. Ever since I moved here four years ago I have heard the woman in that house screaming at her kids. At first I thought she had small kids. Then I saw them and they were middle school & high school age. She usually is yelling at her son - and she's not shy about using the F word. Anyway, the son has not been around very much lately so I don't know what is going on. The next time I looked out my kitchen window all the cops were gone. So anyway, we went to the beach. Even tho I'm not much of a swimmer I love the ocean. Just being in the water is so relaxing. My son and I usually play ball in the water. As I was retreiving the ball I saw two fish swim by. It was really cool -they were about 15" long and pale yellow with black markings. I need to get a fish book so I can look them up. Lots of people snorkel at this beach but you don't usually see anything unless you are out by the rocks. Sometimes there are Hawaiian Monk Seals at the beach. Usually sleeping. The lifeguards usually rope them off as they are an endangered species and you have to stay 100' away from them. When they wake up and go back in the water everyone bails up onto the beach.

So today we decided to go to a beach that we haven't been to for awhile....Black Pot beach at the Hanalei Pier. It was really nice. I usually don't care for the north shore beaches but it was beautiful today. The water was beautiful and clear. I need to get a mask & snorkel so I can see what's underwater. Wish I could post a picture here so anyone reading this could see how beautiful Hanalei Bay is. There was some surf farther out with a few people catching waves but in the summer the bigger surf is on the south shore. I'm a chickenshit and have never tried surfing. You would think having lived in Hawaii my whole life that I would have at least tried it once, but no. I have done a little boogie boarding in smaller waves but I hate wiping out. Once at Kealia a rogue wave hit me and tumbled me underwater several times and when I came up for air another wave got me. It must have looked pretty funny from shore but wasn't funny when it was happening. So I mostly stick to shallow water.

I want to go camping this summer. The weather has been so nice lately. I wanna have a campfire and toast marshmallows and sleep under the stars. Anybody wanna go with me? I need at least one guy, preferably two to feel safe. I know just the place, it's near a beach park so there's a shower and bathrooms but far enough away to not be bothered. Anybody have a tent and a BBQ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home