Monday, August 16, 2004

Clouds Over Baby Beach.....



My sister took this photo of my son and I swimming at Baby Beach. There was a monk seal sleeping on the sand a little further down the beach. A small dog ran by it and barked at it. The seal raised it's head to see what the commotion was then put it's head back down and went back to sleep. Then a man showed up and posted signs about staying 100 feet away from the seal. We couldn't figure out who the dog belonged to but it kept running along the shore and barking. I think maybe it's owner was out in the water diving.

We went to this beach again on Sunday and there was another monk seal sleeping on the sand. Before I moved here the only seals I'd ever seen were the ones at the Honolulu Zoo when I was a kid. Now we see monk seals all over the place here. The day before my sister left we went to the beach at Maha'ulepu and saw the baby monk seal born there on August 2nd. Wouldn't you know that the mom picked the best swimming spot on the whole beach to have her baby. The only place with a nice sandy bottom. And no one can swim there because the beach is roped off on both sides.

As we were driving from Maha'ulepu to Poipu there were two guys riding horses along the roadside. One of them was talking on a cell phone. We got a chuckle out of that. The old and the new.

We stopped at Poipu to see the baby monk seal born there but it was behind it's mom and we couldn't see it. And I never knew there was a small cemetery at that beach park. Next time I'll check it out closer to see whose names are on the headstones. As we walked back to the car we saw the horses and riders we had seen earlier. They were hosing down the horses with cold water. I almost wanted to ask them to shoot the water at us because it was so blasting hot that day.

Then we drove to Pakala's and walked down the beach. We found a bunch of shells. It was blasting hot there too but I won't go in the water because it always looks murky and rocky. I had a dolphin encounter there once. I'll tell that story another time. I've gotta get to bed after I take the trash out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home