Thursday, November 03, 2005

Someone's House Burned Down Tonight.....

I was at the computer and heard what sounded like a load of lumber being dumped. Then I heard what sounded like fireworks. Then I heard sirens. I got up to look out the window and saw fire through the neighbor's hedge. So I put my cat in the bedroom and ran to the house behind me and called my neighbor's name. She and her two daughters were home and came out. We stood in the driveway and watched a house totally engulfed in flames with thick black smoke and sparks flying in the breeze. Good thing we're weren't downwind. We continued to hear explosions. Every time there was an explosion the fire intensified. I live on a main drag and cars were stopping to watch the fire. My neighbor, Carol, got out her ladder and we took turns climbing it to watch the fire over the 10' high wall behind their house. It looked like a two story house was the one on fire. I could see the electric company working on the power lines across the street from the house. Maybe they were trying to cut power off to the house on fire. There's actually two houses and a road between it and my house. I think the sound I heard initially was either explosions or the top floor of the house collapsing. I can't believe how fast and intense the fire was. Almost two hours later I can still hear the engines of the fire trucks back there. I just looked out the window and there is still white smoke coming from the scene.

Here's one of the pictures I took. It was dark by this time but there was still lots of black smoke and sparks billowing up. It was pretty breezy but blowing towards Lihue.



I hope no people or animals perished in the fire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home